Junior Software Engineer
Purpose of Position
JFC Group are looking to recruit a Junior Software Engineer to be part of the software development life cycle i.e. design, develop and maintain C and C++ embedded software for our Evolution automatic calf feeding equipment. This position requires strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively and independently. The successful candidate must have familiarity with electronic circuitry to the degree necessary to test and debug software functions on target hardware. The position requires a strong candidate who can demonstrate initiative, innovation and drive to succeed within a fast-paced innovative environment. This position will be based in our headquarters in Tuam, Co Galway
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and implement software of embedded devices and systems using C, C++
- Proactively review and recommend improvements to existing system designs.
- Issue tracking and project management using ‘JIRA’ software.
- Collaborate with engineers and service personnel to debug and resolve software issues.
- Perform modifications on existing embedded software to add improved functionality.
- Follow standards and industry best practices to improve system performance and safety.
- Create technical specification documents for software.
- Provide technical assistance to other engineers as required.
- Provide production support when necessary.
- Interface with electronic hardware design and development teams.
- Interface with design engineers to plan and develop new products.
- Supervise in house and field trials of new software releases.
- On occasions it may be necessary to travel to a customer site to debug an issue.
- Attend trade shows and events as necessary.
- Evaluate system level requirements by brainstorming with Product Specialists, Product Managers, and other peers.
- Perform cross platform development of C/C++ code while maintaining code quality through best practices.
Desired skills and Experience
- 1 + years’ of relevant industry experience
- A bachelor’s degree in software engineering is desirable
- A minimum level 7 Qualification in software engineering essential
- Demonstrable experience of software design in embedded systems and real-time applications, particularly in embedded C.
- Experience with Embedded Linux and QT an advantage.
- Experience with embedded real time operating systems an advantage.
- Experience with Databases (SQL or SQL Lite) and their use on embedded devices an advantage.
- Experience IOT connectivity for Embedded devices an advantage.
- Experience with hardware/software debugging equipment.
- Good knowledge of hardware design, micro-controllers and electronics.
- Planning and organizational skills
- Motivated to work on own initiative is required and work as part of a team
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to make and implement decisions within tight deadlines
- Organisational Abilities – should be able to prioritize tasks, set schedules and work between different projects to achieve overall business goals
If you are interested in this position, please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for the attention of Mary Dwyer, HR Manager
Closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 30th September 2020 (by close of business).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.